If you are hosting a guest speaker, performance, workshop, or other type of event*, one thing is sure: you don’t want to have an empty room. Here are a few steps you can take to make sure you have an audience:
Details you need to know asap:
- Ticket price, if applicable
- Contact info for questions
Other things to consider:
- Who is the audience (size, demographic)?
- How will you let them know about your event?
- What is your marketing budget? (Even $0 is a budget, and it is important to know when this is the case.)
- Enter the event into your department’s UCF Events calendar.
- Create a Facebook event and invite CAH (and other partners) to be a cohost.
- Invite people to come to the event on Facebook.
- Share the event.
- Post information about what is happening in the facebook event.
- Write a highlight about the event for your website. Post to your site and/or send to CAHWEB@ucf.edu and CAHPR@ucf.edu.
- All highlights require a photo.
- Don’t forget the Ws (who, what, when, where, why, and how) and put the important information up top.
- Poster: Discuss with Matt if you think the event requires a poster, flyer, or digital graphic.
- Have a distribution plan for the poster, flyer, or digital graphics BEFORE you make the piece.
- Press release: Discuss with Heather if you think the event requires a press release. (Tip: most events do not.)
- Email newsletter: do you have an email list? Use the CAH MailChimp to send out an announcement of the event.
- Box office: All CAH departments may use the SPA box office for free and paid events. There is no charge for this. Using the box office provides you with a better idea of who is attending the event and allows you to follow up with attendees after the event. Contact Krissy Yagel for more details.
*Please note: all events should have departmental approval prior to any publicity being performed.